Wednesday 20 June 2012

Anawangin: My Very First Reef Surf

I had the chance to surf my very first reef break last May 26 in Anawangin.

To go there, we had to travel by land to Zambales and take a pumpboat to go to beach where the surf spot is then paddle our way out to the point. Knowing that the spot is a reef break, I was so nervous that my entire body was trembling while observing the waves that were coming. I planned to just be a spectator at least for a good 30 minutes but then coach Paolo calls me to go nearer the peak and try to catch some waves. As an obedient newbie, I paddled towards the peak.

Kuya Danny, Coach Alvin, Kage, and Gill preparing the boards
I let a few sets pass before I decided to give it a go. Next set, about waist-high waves, I pivoted to face the beach, paddled slowly until the waves were about 2 meters behind me, then cranked it up with deep and hard strokes to catch the wave. Paddle! Paddle! Paddle! Kuha ko na ba (Did I catch it?)? It felt like it so I decided to pop up -- What did Surfcuit teach me? Back foot first then front foot. So I popped up... but the wave just left me. It just felt like I caught the wave but, in fact, I didn't. What's worse was that there were 2 or 3 more bigger sized waves which wanted to crush me towards the reef that I have to paddle against. (Thanks to my Vibrams I had no fear of getting reef cuts on the soles of my feet.) Again, What did Surfcuit teach me? Eskimo roll! I executed my very first eskimo roll in the ocean. Once... twice... and several more times.  I then paddled hard towards the channel to avoid the crashing waves and to go back to the lineup.

L to R: A, Bri, JM, Paolo, Jiggy, and me posing for the camera
Jill, Kage, coach Alvin and Jeff just hanging out at the beach after the morning's sesh (and waiting for the boat)
I had several more attempts and did more eskimo rolls.(I think I kind of overused the Eskimo roll.) Did I ever catch and ride my own wave in this trip? Almost! But, no, I didn't. I'm still proud, though, that I practiced the proper surf etiquette (as the spot was quite crowded that day) and survived my very first reef surf unscathed. Well, yes, except for the happy sunburn and some rashes from the softboard. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment