Monday 18 June 2012

The Six Pack Recipe (TSPR) Interviews: Clint Cation

I had a chance to interview not just an officemate but also a friend, Clint Cation. Just like any regular employee, Clint has a day job at Smart Communications Inc. and is one of the key technical people in the Solutions Center team. What is so extraordinary about Clint, though, is his consistency in maintaining his fit physique and his enthusiastic drive towards achieving his goals in life.

Let's meet Clint.

Name: Clint Paul Cation
Age: 38
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 145 lbs

Nena: What's a normal day for you like?
Clint: On a normal day, I wake up at 5am and go to Makati, where I work, but before that I go to the gym. I always bring my sandwich so that I can have something to eat before I start working out. Breakfast first because if you try to workout on an empty stomach you might not have the energy to finish all your routines. I also have a schedule for my routines: MWF I do weight training, Tuesdays I attend a gym class, Body Pump, which is a combination of cardio and weight training, and on Thursdays I attend cycling class. I usually spend my weekends at home with my family to simply relax or sometimes my friends and I go somewhere to hang out.

N: Aside from going to the gym, what other activities do you do to keep your body fit?
C: I used to join marathons but due to my busy schedule I had to stop. I would really like to go back (to joining marathons). I'm a runner and when I run it's always 21k. I also do yoga. But since I'm a bit busy, I only practice yoga at least one Sunday a month.

N: What got you into fitness? And how long have you been working out?
C: I decided to start working out at the age of 30 and for multiple reasons: One is the fear of aging bad physically. I'm a vain person. As I grow old, I still want to look presentable. Second is, of course, to still be healthy as I go through my 30s. And another is to have an outlet where I can release stress from work and from other aspects of life.

N: What's your inspiration or motivation to stay fit?
C: Most of my friends are also gym buffs. So we motivate each other to continue on going to the gym. Also, when I Iook at the mirror and see the progress that I'm doing, I feel a sense of motivation to continue working out.

N: Is there a special diet that you follow?
C: The beauty of going to the gym everyday is that I don't have to be that conscious with what I eat. But, as much as possible, I still try to keep a low sugar diet. Yet, I don't deprive myself of eating anything. I can even drink or smoke occasionally. Drinking or smoking aren't an addiction to me, though.


Clint Cation -- engineer, gym buff, pet lover. Who said 38 can't look as hot as this?

N: Aside from keeping fit, what are your other interests?
C: I love pets. I once had a Siberian Husky but, sadly, he passed away. Now, I have a one year old Akita and his name is Shintaro. I'm also a "gaming" person. I like playing video games in PS3, Wii, Kinect, or other game consoles. In one way or another, I'm still physically active whether I'm playing with my dogs or with computer games.

N: Tell me something unexpected about yourself.
C: I'm an emotional person, though my friends know this already. I usually empathize with my family or friends when something causes some emotional stress. They (my family and friends) know that I can put their welfare before my own.

N: Many say that they don't have the time to exercise. What is your advice to them?
C: If I could do it, so can they. You have to set your goal and strive hard for it. Once you see that you are getting nearer and nearer to your goal you will realize that your hard work is paying off.

N: How can you relate being fit with achieving your career and other personal goals in life?
C: In our daily life, we are faced with so much stress -- stress at work, financial stress, or even stress at home. To be able to cope with these stresses, one must be healthy enough so that we can surpass whatever obstacles which may get in the way of achieving one's goals.

N: Give me one word that you would use to describe yourself.
C: EXPLOSIVE. I want others to remember me as an explosive person. Think of fireworks. Fireworks explode to make something beautiful. When I do something, I give it all I have, I explode to produce something awesome!

Clint also told me that he was once very skinny (" sobrang tikling") and used to weigh only 130 lbs at his height. His consistency together with the very visible results of his hard work surely makes him one of my fitness idols here in my workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment